Mindfulness in Food
Mindless eating is a growing problem in our society. Individuals are overeating, stress eating, and making unhealthy eating choices. It’s time to make the shift to mindful eating to better our personal health. Now’s the time for practicing mindfulness in food. It’s easy to get caught up seeing eating as almost a chore. So we often are hasty in purchasing and making food, then overeating, or chose last minute restaurants which lack the nutrition to sustain our ever stressful life patterns.
I would like to encourage you to begin thinking about how you eat. Don’t worry, you’ll still be able to make delicious options that just might surprise you!
What is Mindful Eating?
Mindful eating is when you are present during eating. This will allow you to really focus on what you are eating, trust me, you’re going to enjoy it! Paying attention to your physical cues of hunger and eating only until you are full are also aspects of mindful eating. No, this is not a diet, but rather a new mindset.
Tips towards more mindful eating:
- Eat when your body tells you to eat, when it growls for example.
- Learn the proper portions for your body (normally no more than a handful, and eat them, nothing more.
- When you are full, stop eating.
- Educate yourself to better select healthy and nutritious foods. I suggest to clients 5-8 fruits or vegetables a day.
- Know where your food comes and what you are eating.
- Cut out distractions when you are eating, so that you can focus on your food.
When You Eat Mindfully You Reap the Benefits!
What you eat and how you eat affects the overall wellness of your body, both mentally and physically. Happy hormones are found in the gut so when your gut is happy naturally you’re happy.
Here are some benefits of mindful eating:
- Reduced stress
- Increased happiness
- Great gut health
- Reduced calorie intake
- Proper digestion
- Natural weight loss
- Learning to really enjoy food
There are so many benefits that come from mindfulness in food. You will become a happier and healthier person. Do you need a little direction on how to start? Contact me and I’ll walk you through how to make it happen!